“To create an inclusive culture where everyone, everyone is held in the highest respect, feels safe, is valued and as a result affirms others and works collaboratively toward personal goals and achieving our mission.”
It was Mother Teresa who said, "I never look at the masses as my responsibility. I look at the individual. I can only love one person at a time. I can only feed one person at a time. Just one, one, one." In that same vein we derive our slogan "See the Individual in Everyone," and carry out our simple mission statement.
Our mission is to create opportunities for independence and acceptance in our communities by supporting people in:
- Making Choices: Everyday choices you and I take for granted.
- Building Relationships: With other people other than those paid to be in their lives.
- Sharing Places: Places in the community you and I go everyday.
- Developing Skills: Functional skills needed to live successfully in our communities.
- Enhancing Reputations: Gaining social - not just physical - acceptance from other members of the community.
- Contributing Back: Giving something back to the community by working, volunteering, or helping others.
This simple mission was adopted from the "Framework for Accomplishment" developed by John O’Brien. This simple structure provides guidance for our employees and concrete measures of our success--it's easy to see jobs achieved, relationships built, and skills developed.